MSCJ Executive Track
The MSCJ Executive Track is offered as a two-year cohort model comprised solely of criminal justice professionals as students. Students will be admitted to a cohort in the Fall semester only.
Our MSCJ Executive Track students will take two back-to-back, 8-week classes per semester, meeting physically on campus once per week (a second day of the week for covering course material will be an “alternative delivery”, e.g., online). The coursework will be geared specifically towards the professional work that students are already doing in their occupations, as well as providing tools, techniques, and information that will assist them in being recognized as a demonstrated leader in their field.
The curriculum for the Executive Track provides for the development of skills in criminal justice program planning, implementation, and evaluation to ensure a meaningful contribution to this important area of community and human services. Course work consists of the following:
Required Courses (15 hours)
- CJ 5310 Administration of Justice (first 8 weeks)
- CJ 5330 Management Principles (second 8 weeks)
- CJ 5340 Personnel Practices (first 8 weeks)
- CJ 5315 Research Methods (second 8 weeks)
- CJ 5325 Statistics in Criminal Justice (10-week face-to-face course)
Additional Courses (12 hours)
Fall 2 and Spring 2:
- Four additional courses selected from among the following:
- CJ 5311 Administrative Law in Criminal Justice
- CJ 5321 Current Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- CJ 5322 Police in Society
- CJ 5323 Special Operations Units
- CJ 5324 Investigations
- CJ 5350 Current Issues in Criminal Justice
- CJ 5355 Intelligence Gathering
- CJ 5380A Ethics & the Criminal Justice System
- CJ 5380I Race, Class, and Crime
- CJ 5380L Geospatial Intelligence
- CJ 5380M Crime Analysis
Capstone Course (3 hours)*
- CJ 5370 Professional Paper (10-week course)
* All MSCJ Executive Track students will undertake an oral defense of their professional paper and an oral comprehensive examination upon completion of the above degree requirements.
Information on admissions requirements and procedures may be found here.
Scholarships are available to students in the MSCJ Executive Track.